Sunday, June 2, 2013

I'm still here......

just extremely busy!
You would think the end of school would mean some down time for me. Nope! My girls have had me running since their last day and when you add their plans with everything I need/have/want to do I am BUSY!!!!

My strawberry patch has been producing like crazy this year! I've had to share my harvest with rolly polly's. I remember when I would have to turn over rocks to find those guys and now they are everywhere :p

My goat and I are in a good milking routine. I get a quart in the mornings and a pint in the evenings. We have started using her milk instead of store bought. So far soo good :) I'm going to try making some ice cream with it soon. My baby goat is still nameless. I call him Sonny so that might stick. He's loves to sit in my lap when I milk his mom. He's such a cuddler ♥

My chickens have been penned up for over a month and I love it. We haven't had any losses and the poo is contained into one area. They have ate every last blade of grass so it's a dirt pen now. I noticed the egg yolk color is not as orange so I started throwing them grass/weed clippings. I will let them free range again this fall when the neighbors done gardening. I have six broody's right now and that's making it rough on my other hens. It's time to get rid of some roosters that's another down side of penning up chickens the hens can't get away from the roo's as easily.

My garden is looking pretty good even after being flooded by all this rain. We got so much rain on Thursday that our woods flooded. We had a nice little river running through and it made about a three foot pond deep in the woods. My little one put on her suit and swam until dark! It was really funny to watch! We are filling up our pool today so their won't be anymore hillbilly waterin' holes for awhile ☺

I sold my mama, daddy, and baby rabbit with the hutch a few weeks ago. I miss them but they were pets and I need animals that we can eat if they don't sell. I still have Ellie my first bun to be born here. I don't know what I'm going to do with her yet. If we get rabbits again they will be meat rabbits.

I finally got some overalls! I found them at the Salvation Army store. Two pair of vintage corduroy overalls for $2.50 a pair and one pair had a dollar in the pocket! So I got both pair for 4 bucks!!!!

Life is just chugging along and I'm enjoying every second of it.
Have a great Sunday ya'll

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful life Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grass and other greens give the gold color to the yolks and give you Omega 3, which is used to prevent and treat heart disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I figured. Since the grass disappeared the eggs have gotten pale :( We have been mowing with a push mower and bagging the clippings. They love scratching through the grass and hopefully the eggs will get back to normal ☺

      Delete
  3. ive been so worried about you out there.. Whew! Glad to know you guys are okay. But all that really bad stuff has seemed south of you. Stay safe and keep an eye to the sky my friend.

    And yes, our schools are out as well, and I for some reason have had NO TIME either.. isnt it suppose to be "Summer vacation" ? What the heck! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Summer vacation is far from a vacation for mothers!
      The weather was soo scary last week. I would just sit in front of the tv watching the storms come and just cry. I finally had to turn that thing off! We were lucky we didn't have any damage.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you post Kelly...Was wondering how you all did during the storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky. It was scary for several days though ☺

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you post. All that moisture, wouldn't it be nice to space it out through the summer! Our strawberries are going like gang busters but everything other than lettuce has bolted already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lettuce bolted first, then my onions but the rain is good. I hope we keep getting it throughout the Summer ☺

      Delete