Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Something new!

I have a confession to make. I do raise, butcher, and eat my homegrown chickens, BUT I have never cut up a whole chicken! What you say, who doesn't know how to do that! Well me, until today. I usually take the easy route and just roast the whole bird and let the savages at it when it's cooked and lately when we butcher a bird we just skin it and take the breasts, legs, and thighs. But today I stumbled across an oven fried chicken recipe and as it so happens I had been thawing one of my birds in the fridge for the last two days, so I decided to take the time (I'm not patient) and learn this skill! So here it is my cut up bird.
I thought the leg and thigh seperation was hard, well it was cake compared to the breasts which I'm sure I did wrong, they ended up with the skin hanging on by a thread but I did get them off the bird, so yeah! I might skin them and put them aside for another night! I'm sure the hubs will be super impressed with my accomplishment today and I look forward to trying this recipe ☺

15 comments:

  1. Good job! I find that if you look closely they have "cut here" lines between the parts.

    Enjoy your dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the youtube video that K shared and I see it now! I'm sure I'll do better next time!

      Delete
  2. I admire you! It is a lost 'art' to do this yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm proud! There is so many things to learn in life, I love it!

      Delete
  3. looks good! keep it up and you'll be a pro in no time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I watched the video that K shared, I think I'll do better next time!

      Delete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW5BFvCmV7k

    My favorite way to save money - cutting a whole bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have watched this before I demolished the breast LOL!!! I also need a sharper knife! Thanks K!

      Delete
    2. Bookmark it, I sometimes go back and watch it again, especially if it has been a while.

      Delete
  5. you're my new hero! Good for you. So how did the oven fried chicken come out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. A little bland for the hubs, he likes everything spicy! Next time I will put more seasonings in the flour. Baking it in shortening and butter was unhealthy but yummy ☺

      Delete
  6. Kelly,

    Wooohooo great job girl!!!! Now come on down here, I have 3 chickens that need cutting up :-)

    Teasing there!!! I do have 3 chickens to cut up and I will use the video provided by K as a reference when cutting.

    Let me know how your oven fried chicken tastes, I will have to try this recipe. I came across a recipe that looks really good, and worth trying, I thought you maybe interested in. Here's the recipe http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/08/crispy-yogurt-chicken/

    I'm going to make chicken breasts with this recipe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check this recipe out. I love her recipes, they are always spicy, and my husband likes spicy! Thanks for sharing and let me know if you like it!

      Delete
  7. Please do share your oven fried recipie if it turns out awesome! Congrats on getting in there and getting everything cut up. I'm still saying one day.... One day I'll get a few chickens, NOT name them, and raise them purely for dinner. Love reading your blog Kelly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, click on the link (oven fried chicken) in the post, it takes you to Kim's post! It was good, my husband thought it was too bland and I even added seasoning salt and garlic pepper to the flour. I'm hatching out seven eggs right now purely for meat but I have a feeling I won't be able to get rid of the girls! Lord I hope most of them are boys, I'm about to have ALOT of chickens!!!!!

      Delete