Friday, August 8, 2014

CRAP!!!!!

I found the missing blister beetles.......
They have moved on to my big garden and are doing work on my tomatoes! It only took them two days to demolish the volunteer tomato plant in the cantaloupe patch. I squirted a couple with wasp spray, not sure if it killed them. I despise pesticides and have worked really hard not to use them but I'm not losing my tomato's to these guys. So this evening, against my own gardening rules, the bugs will die. I hate this, but I really love my tomato's :(

7 comments:

  1. I was wondering if that wasn't where they were, I spray things like that that move in mass. They need to be wiped out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had blister beetle infestations and never lost my tomatoes. When I got rid of all the Amaranth plants they attacked the tomatoes but only ate the leaves close tot he ground. It actually gave me better tomatoes later because it made weeding so much easier. Then again maybe mine was only a minor infestation so I wouldn't be quick to recommend you not doing anything only to have your beetles eat the entire plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phooey, I hope you get rid of them some way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kelly, my heart goes out to you. I hate pesticides too, but it sounds like you might not have a choice. The only other thing that I can think of is cayenne pepper. It might drive them away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I am lucky my little test garden plots got washed away. Sounds like this is all too much work. I only want to eat the good food, I don't want to do the work. Kind of like the animals in "the Little Red Hen"

    ReplyDelete