Monday, December 10, 2012

Silence of the yard....

The homestead is too quiet now. We processed (or whatever you want to call it) six roosters. There used to be too much crowing and now there is none. I miss my big boys :( but one would chase my children and the other would chase my dog so they had to go.



the button looks like a smiley face LOL!!!
I made a beaded crochet bracelet the other day, thanks to Kim at the red farmhouse for the inspiration and link to the instructions. This one I will give to my cousin in California ☺

The baby chickens in the new coop have started coming down to the first level during the day, well thirteen of them, one must be scared of heights. At night they wait for me to put them one by one back on the third floor! If they were smart they would put themselves up at night, that's when I will let them free range during the day!
We now have two layers, two molters, and a ton of babies! One rooster survived butchering day only because the hubs thought he could get him without me. HA!!!! I am chicken mama and I know my chickens. I told him REPEATEDLY that we need to get him together and he took it upon himself to get him. Well he got away LOL!!!!

It's really cold here today. Last night I harvested a bunch of collard greens, I will cook them down and put them in freezer bags, thank you Sunnybrook Farm for the info ☺ I also harvested three heads of broccoli! I can't wait for dinner tonight, my little one is already gagging at the thought, but it will be yummy!

Happy Monday Everyone!!!

11 comments:

  1. I like roosters but they eat most of the food and are basically not much good. We have one old one and he will take bread from us and give it to the hens, he isn't stupid!
    We are still getting some fresh greens since the weather warmed, they kind of bounced back for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having a rooster but we had too many and the big boys drove my daughters nuts!
      I still have brussell sprouts, broccoli, beets, carrots and collard greens in the garden. It's pretty cold again tonight but I have them covered.

      Delete
  2. So glad you made a bracelet. I love seeing others try something that I did!
    It's hard to get a good rooster. Most are only good for the freezer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved one of my boys, but noone else did. They were pretty birds too. I still have the one roo that lived and four little ones left so we will have roosters again soon enough! Thanks for sharing the bracelet pattern! I'm going to make another one in turquoise tonight if my hands ever warm up!!!

      Delete
  3. I like broccoli cheese casserole and that is as far as I can go with it. Collard greens no, I had them too much when I was growing up.

    The bracelet is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth, I haven't had collard greens, but last fall I figured out how to cook swiss chard and it was yummy so I'm going to cook it the same way ☺

      Delete
  4. Busy times when you make Christmas gifts! I've got some to make too...mostly chocolates! hehe
    My kiddos don't really care for broccoli, but I'm mean and make them eat it anyways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making broccoli cheese soup tonight, she has a nasty cough so she better just eat it!!! And it's freezing here today so we all need to warm up with some soup ☺

      Delete
  5. Kelly,

    Your still harvesting veggies, wow.....are beds have been layed to rest. Temperatures down here were very cold 24 degrees on the porch and that's without considering the wind. Needless to say, it felt like 12 degrees outside.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have covered my raised beds when the temps get cold! It is down right too cold today, but I still have brussell sprouts, broccoli, collard greens, beets, and carrots in the garden ☺

      Delete
  6. We have 2 roos and I love them...Mine are not mean at all and of course for us they serve a pupose...reproduction...We put all roosters in the freezer here except for the one's used for reproducing...For us to be self-reliant we have to have a renewable food sources, and they means reproduction...which means males and females of all critters...

    No collard greens here...I just can't stomach them...I am interested to see if you like them..swiss chard is great!...

    It is in the teens here tonight..I too have covered my raised beds...I put plastic over them as well as some old windows, works great for 'catching' the heat!...I am looking forward to seeing if my lettuce, chard and spinach make it through this cold snap!...Time will tell!

    Stay warm my friend!

    ReplyDelete